Monday, February 15, 2016

Weathering the Storm

“Don’t ever feel bad for making a decision about your own life that upsets other people.You are not responsible for their happiness. You’re responsible for your own happiness. Anyone who wants you to live in misery for their happiness should not be in your life to begin with.”

Sometimes people clash, and sometimes you don't realize it until it is too late. I'm very stubborn, but I suppose I've always known that. After I make up my mind, it's set. I wouldn't change anything that has happened in the last year, besides the fact that I hurt so many people along the way. So here I am admitting my faults. Why did I get married? I grew up learning that it's what you do. I guess I never realized that I could say no, and maybe at the time I didn't even want to. I was ready to move out of my parent's house and start a life. I thought marriage would fix all of my problems. I honestly thought that marriage would be all fun and games, but boy was I so wrong. Marriage is hard, especially when you don't have anything in common with the person.

I was married for 6 months. Only half a year. I can't say that I was ever truly happy at all during that short time. The blame is not his, nor is it mine. We just weren't ready for marriage, or right for each other. I often considered staying in the marriage for him and for everybody else. I was told by several people that I was being selfish for wanting to leave. One day, I came to the realization that it's never selfish to do the right thing for you and your own happiness. Part of me wanted to fix things, but I had been unhappy for far too long and I knew that he wasn't who or what I wanted in life. There was never a day where we didn't argue about something, and it's not because we were bad people. Sadly, we were just bad for each other.

On January 30th, I moved out. I am now on my own. I don't regret making the choice to get married. It helped me learn some things about myself. Most would disagree with me, but I have grown up a lot since the proposal last May. I finally walked away because I am stronger than I was before. I want what is best for me and my future. I want my future children to see true love every single day. I want the happily ever after that I've always dreamed of, because I know it exists. And that is what I want for him too. He deserves happiness and I know it wasn't with me. We didn't share the same dreams and goals for our futures. I may be selfish now, but someday everyone that this decision has affected will realize that I did the best thing for us all.

For those of you who read my blog, I want you to learn that it's definitely okay to put your happiness first when circumstances call for it. There are also moments when you need to swallow your pride and drop the selfish act. I can promise that I did not make my decision without prayer. I prayed over and over every single day to know what to do. If that isn't something you do, then trust your heart. Your heart knows what is best for you, just like your Heavenly Father knows. I appreciate all of the support through this and want to thank everyone who is in my life and hasn't judged my choices.

Love, MissKatieBug <3

3 comments:

  1. Only u know ur heart... You have to make tough decisions. Those that truly love and know you also know that. This struggle is real, find your happiness and move forward. That is the best you can do Katelyn ����

    ReplyDelete
  2. {HUGS} You're not the first person who had to make this hard choice, for me it all came crashing down to reality when I was 8 months pregnant with Gavin. Good job you for honoring your truth & for having the courage to love yourself. In the end I believe you're correct, you've minimized damage overall.

    So proud of you. Keep believing, happily ever after is real. True love doesn't hurt & when you're happy you will never be obsessed with doubts.

    Love you! I love reading about your journey. I wish I could discipline myself to write my blog like you do. 😜

    ReplyDelete
  3. ideally marriage is to last for a very long time...so I honor your integrity to know it wasn't right, being mature enough to realize that you and he will find a partner just right for you and you deserve real happiness.

    ReplyDelete