Monday, April 20, 2015

WORDS.

"Words are a powerful thing. Use them for good. Use your words to love the people who need it most, and to comfort those who are hurting. Speak in a way that people will learn to love themselves. Never belittle. Be a teacher and a friend. It takes one word to break someone down and a million words to build them back up. Use your words wisely and carefully. One wrong word may change the course of a person's life. Choose to change a life for the better. Be the hero."
               -Katelyn Marie, 20 years old

We've all heard the saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." I only wish that was the truth, but sadly, it's not. We live in a society where people (young and old) are committing and attempting suicide every day. Suicide takes almost five-thousand lives each year. And one of the causes is us, our words and our actions. We may see people getting bullied at school, or on the street; yet, we do nothing. Have you ever thought about how your own thoughts affect you? We tell ourselves day after day that "we aren't good enough", or "we're not pretty", or maybe we just don't feel like we belong. That's bullying.

One day, back in middle school, I was talking to a crying girl who hated everything about herself. She was one of the smartest girls I knew, and she didn't see the potential in her life. She couldn't see beyond her own flaws. I didn't know a thing about her home life, but I knew she was struggling there as well. I sat in math class with her every day for a week and I did what I could to build her up, because I saw the pain in her eyes. I saw that she needed a friend. Later that year, I learned that she was planning on killing herself that weekend. She was still around all through high school, and I never stopped being her friend. I don't know where she is now or what she is doing with her life, but I think of her occasionally to remind myself that words can be a lifesaver.

I've always been one to put myself down, but build up everyone around me. I can't stand to see people hurting, but I'm hurting myself every day without realizing it. Many of us are. This cycle has to change. We need to stand up for ourselves. We need to stand up for others. Use your words. Use positive words. Be an inspiration. Save a life. Pray for those who need extra strength and love. If you pay close enough attention, I promise you will see which people need your support. You'll be able to hear it in their words and see it in their eyes. Please don't overlook those around you. Pay attention, and share your story.

We are our own worst enemy. It may be easy for some of us to brush off what other people say, but do we really ever brush off our own words? Of course not, because we believe them. Watching what we say to ourselves is just as essential as watching what we say to others. WE can prevent suicide. WE can make a difference. WE can be a hero. Words can hurt, but they don't have to.

Love, Miss KatieBug <3



1 comment:

  1. Self-love is so important, but yet it is the most challenging of all.

    ReplyDelete